Saturday 4 May 2013

Thinking of Food

Looking forward to eating is different to being hungry. For me, hunger is a physical gnaw or a psychological craving for something specific. The Master Cleanse so far is helping me to remove the last two and look forward to eating again - properly. Being at university usually makes it hard for me to make proper food. I hate using our yucky communal kitchen and generally just pop a soup in the microwave when I feel hungry. The lack of cooking has led me to looking for ready-to-eat foods. Sainsbury's vegetable bhajia are to-die-for and, well, apart from that, I mainly eat gum and cookies. When I do make a soup or a one-pot meal, I have to get up early in the morning and reheat it later. I've got a bit of a thing about eating in front of people, and in the last few months that's extended to cooking in front of people too. It's best not to go into that. I'm sure a psychologist could tell me all about what's going on there, but then I'm equally sure we're all walking around with our own neuroses. Today was a good day for food preparation. I've spent the day collecting recipes from my various notebooks and started typing them up. At home I love to experiment with healthy cooking and I really want to be able to try some here too. The Master Cleanse is already making me look at my diet in a different way. When I go back to eating, I want to do things properly, paying attention to nutrients and natural flavour rather than quick-fix snacks. I haven't eaten food for three days and I'm thinking off colourful vegetables, not Thornton's. That's really impressive. I'll share my post-cleanse recipes when I get round to making them. The official Master Cleanse site says you can "return to normal eating" on the fourth day after the cleanse; I cannot tell you how glad I am that I don't want to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment