Friday 10 May 2013

The Final Day!!!!

Today is my 10th and final day on the Master Cleanse, and I can't believe it's gone so quickly! With my ease-in and ease-out orange juice days, this totals 12 days without eating; my attitude to food has been transformed, and I feel happier and healthier than I have in a long time. I woke up this morning at 5 am, and was ready to get up and about and begin my day. Cleansing has given me increased energy levels in the mornings over the past couple of days, which is wonderful, especially now my symptoms of faintness have subsided. However, I have noticed a severe energy drop in the evenings, which combined with an inability to sleep is pretty damn annoying. Still, I'm hoping my healthier post-cleanse diet will remedy this, giving me the best of both worlds; the energetic vigour of cleansing and the genuine fuel energy of food. Although I was too busy to drink more than 4 lemonades yesterday I managed to pass dark solids this morning, so it looks as though my body will keep being cleaned out right up until the end of my detox!

My tongue is still white and coated; in the original Master Cleanse booklet, it states that the tongue will go pink when the detox is finished. Although this wisdom is often repeated online, a quick look at the Master Cleanse forums has been enough to comfort me that most people's tongues do not, in fact, look healthy on the 10th day. What's more, many of the people who prolonged their cleanse, thinking that they still had detoxing to be done, found themselves to still have furry tongues on their 40th day!! There are even people whose tongues went white, returned to pink, and then went white again, all in the space of a 10 day cleanse. All in all, I'm not certain how correct Burroughs was about the idea of the tongue looking healthy, and since I don't want to go beyond 10 days, I'm going to chance my arm and begin my ease-out tomorrow morning.

Today I had 6 glasses of lemonade, a lot of water, and a laxative tea both morning and evening. I felt wide awake at 5 this morning but I've been listing all afternoon and now it's almost 5 pm I'm thinking of going to bed. What's more, my cravings for food have been much stronger today, perhaps because I know it's only a matter of hours until I'm technically allowed to eat again. I have to admit, I used the 'chew and spit' technique on a piece of chocolate today, just because I couldn't resist it. I know that chewing and spitting doesn't necessarily cut calories, but it did give me the flash of taste (and CHEWING!!!) I needed without messing up my digestive system, so in this way, it's perfect for the Master Cleanse. I was disappointed in myself for this little indulgence in sub-cheating, but I'm almost too tired to berate myself right now. I wonder how much of this is psychological? Is my brain acting up because it knows I'll be eating soon? Hmmm...

I would definitely consider cleansing again. It's a struggle, but an enjoyable one; it's amazing what the body is capable of, and I think I've succeeded in restoring my respect for my digestive system. Though I'm looking forward to the taste of chocolate once again, I've become aware of a psychological dependency that I've been able to address. Now, I can think more carefully about my food choices and enjoy eating. I can also enjoy shopping more than I have before. I'm really looking forward to trying unusual fruits and designing my own soup recipes. Although this is my last post whilst I'm cleansing, I'll be blogging about my ease-out too. Once I'm home and reunited with a working camera, I can share some of my favourite recipes and get some more pictures on here! See you in the morning for Day 1 of post-cleanse; it's still a liquid diet tomorrow, but I'll be getting a few more flavours at last!!!!! That's it for Day 10, and my Master Cleanse experience! Bye!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment